Monday 26 January 2015

Crocheted Pot Holder








This is my first finished project for 2015 and I have to say
I really love it. I started making this pot holder just after the New Year and finished it about two weeks ago. It is made of two crocheted
 squares joined together, with embroidery on one side. I'm a big fan of cross-stitch on crochet and knitting and stitching those three flowers
was an absolute pleasure.

The pattern is from Kat Goldin's book hook, stitch & give and
has a cute name - 'kitschy koo'. I used Stylecraft and Drops Muskat
cotton yarns, all leftovers from other projects. It's always satisfying
to make something from fabric and yarn scraps, especially when
it turns out nice and useful like this. I'm all for decorative,
functional and stash-busting makes and, I'm sure you can tell
by now, I really enjoyed this project. My husband is not too sure
 about this though. He doesn't dislike crochet - he loved the shawl
 that I made for his mum last Christmas. I think it's just a bit
 too retro-tastic for him. I completely disagree. But he doesn't mind it
 in our kitchen so I'm happy with that. And after all, no one's perfect!

Just in case anyone is interested, I have found that mercerised
 cotton yarn is better for cross-stitching. This yarn doesn't split
 and gives a neater finish. So that's it from me for now.
 I hope you're all having a good start to the week.
 Take care!


10 comments:

  1. It's really lovely ~ the colours you have used work really well together :0) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marion,

    Wow, you pot holder is beautiful and so neat, I love the detail of the cross stitching.
    It's not really taken you long at all, and a brilliant and useful way to use up scraps that would
    normally lie around.

    I'm thinking of taking up cross stitching again, just have to finish
    my crochet blanket first.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh its just so gorgeous! Well done you! It is retro-tastic but that's what is fantastic about it! I'd be too scared to use it though in case I spoilt it! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pot holder looks great Marion, and the edging really finishes it off so well. I agree, I would be too scared to use it - it would have to be just decorative
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought of cross stitching onto crochet, it is a lovely idea. I only started appreciating crochet pot holders in recent years, maybe because my mum hated receiving a set of two every year from her mother in law. She was quite vocal about those pot holders. No doubt they were made with love but it was not appreciated. Such a shame really. I want to make some for myself this year and maybe I'll cross stitch onto them, like you. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, Marion! The colors are pretty and I love the retro flowers, they look like lollipops. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really pretty, Marion, I'd be scared to use it in case I damaged it! I like the cross stitch on top of the crochet, I've never tried that before xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty! I love the colours you have chosen. I have made a couple of potholders as gifts, they are fun to make. Have a great week!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty, I really like the colours. Your cross stitching is beautiful and really adds a very pretty decorative note to this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Marion, it's just absolutely lovely. So charming and simple. I love it. x

    ReplyDelete